Friday, January 14, 2011

Bishop Rice Ordained Yesterday

 
Photo by Lisa Johnston
Yesterday was a day of much celebration as six CCM students, myself and Fr. Patrick travelled to St. Louis for the Ordination Mass for Bishop Edward Rice.  It was a beautiful Mass and the Archdiocese is very blessed with the addition of Bishop Rice to the episcopate.  The Cathedral Basilica was packed and there were many bishops, priests, seminarians and religious in attendance as well - which is always a great sight to see! 


CCM students with Bishop Finn of Kansas City-St. Joseph.
 Of course, all of the Missouri bishops were in attendance including our own Bishop James Johnston and our Bishop Emeritus John Leibrecht.  Raymond Cardinal Burke was there and we're always thrilled to see him.  Archbishop Carlson was the principal consecrator along with Bishop John Gaydos of Jefferson City and Bishop Richard Stika of Knoxville. 

Following the Mass, Bishop Rice quoted Pope John Paul II speaking of the role of the bishop in carrying the cross and embracing and offering up his sufferings.  He then said:

Two CCM students were able to
greet Bishop Rice at the reception
following Mass.
 "When I read that quote I paused, and then I panicked. It was not what I wanted to read; dying to self, suffering, taking up the Cross. And yet, at the same time, a conviction came over me – God is faithful, He will not abandon me – He has poured out the fullness of His Spirit upon me, so do not be afraid.  The ring I now wear signifies that I am wedded to the Church. The Gospel elevated over my head signifies my commitment to preaching and teaching the Good News. The crosier bespeaks my commitment to the flock, the miter, my pursuit of holiness. Scripture tells us that the Shepherd carries the lost sheep on his shoulders. The Shepherd leads the flock to green pastures. The Shepherd gathers and protects the sheep from danger.The Shepherd is willing to "lay down his life for the sheep." As I look out at all of you, I realize that is the type of bishop you deserve. And so, with God's grace, the strength of the Holy Spirit, and with your prayers, that is the type of Bishop I will strive to be." 
Read his full statement here at the Archdiocesan website.

Congratulations, Bishop Rice.  CCM is so happy for you and we know you will fulfill your new role as bishop with great love and humility!  We are praying for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment