Monday, April 25, 2011

"Father, Into Your Hands I Commend My Spirit."

When I was a kid my uncle used to pick me up and hold me out like I was superwoman and 'fly' me around the room until his arms were too tired to keep going.  I loved the certain sense of freedom that I felt because I was never afraid that he would drop me - I was so confident that he would keep me up that I just enjoyed the ride and was constantly asking him to lift me up again, the poor guy.  This memory is a glimpse into how God wants us to react to him: to trust him so completely that all fear subsides and you rest in his arms like a child confident that he will not drop you. 

Many of you reading this are about to start summer vacation from college - some of you have your summer planned out, some of you don't; many of you will graduate soon - some of you know where you're going and what you'll be doing, some of you don't.  Keep this in mind though: don't get too caught up in your plans or too worried about your non-existent plans.  God's ways are not our ways and his thoughts are not our thoughts.  We don't know what's coming, but he knows every detail.  God's plans are always better than our own because his plans are always focused on making us saints.  Whether things work out the way we want them to or not - rejoice - God is making you a saint.  Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning (Psalm 30: 5).  I can tell you from experience that the plans that I make are never as good as the plans God makes. 

If you have things planned out do not become so focused on having things go your way that you close yourself off to what God may have planned for you. If you don't have plans and you're worried about what will come, do not whisper in despair, "God, what am I gonna do?" rather with confidence and trust pray, "Lord, to where and to whom do you want to send me?"  "...To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Have no fear before them, because I am with you to deliver you, says the LORD." (Jer. 1: 7-8)

When you are willing to let go of your own plans and are open to his will for your life, he will take you on adventures you never thought you would experience. You are not alone and you don't have to have everything figured out.  God will lead you in the way that you should go.  Commend yourself into his hands just as Christ did.  He will not drop you, he will not forsake you, he will not let you down. Letting go and trusting in his plan for your life will bring you freedom and open you up to embracing the opportunities that he presents to you each day to become a saint.  "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." (Jer. 29:11) As St. Gianna said, "Entrust the past to God's mercy; the future to Divine Providence; your task is to live holy the present moment."

Lord, I thank you for your guidance and love for me. I know that no detail of my life is beyond your loving care.  Help me to trust in your beautiful plan for me and with childlike confidence place all my hopes in you. 

"Eternal Father, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase your mercy in us that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to your holy will, which is love and mercy itself.  Amen." (Prayer of St. Faustina)

No comments:

Post a Comment