Monday, April 25, 2011

"It is Finished."

In Life of Christ, Bishop Sheen begins speaking of this sixth word of Christ from the cross not as a sigh of relief that his suffering was ending, but rather as a shout of joy that his saving work had been fulfilled.  A beautiful reality about this is that it was not simply an ending but also a glorious beginning.  A beginning of new life for those whom he had redeemed.  The beginning of a new family, a new and everlasting covenant of love.  With the Resurrection, Ascension and Descent of the Holy Spirit a new joy would fill the earth; a new song of hope would resound.  With what love the Saviour bore his cross that he may wed himself forever to his Bride, the Church. 

How glorious that God provides you with the graces through the redemption wrought by Christ to become the person he made you to be!  Open wide the doors to Christ that his flood of love may inundate your soul!  Hold nothing back from him!  Do not be afraid to open your heart to him.  He wants to give you something beautiful - do not reject his gift another moment!  You are precious and beautiful to him - let him tell you how much he loves you.

Oh Love that gave yourself up for me, grant that I may give myself up for you.  Lord as you hung there upon the true tree of life, your heart beat for me in a paradox of pain and joy, suffering and love; grant that I may open myself to receive the joy which you have won for me.  Jesus, I love you.  Through your grace may I open my heart to receive your love that I may love you all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment